ASCA Level 3 – The Planning and Execution of Training for Swimmers of All Ages
The USA Swimming Regional Coaches Conference.
Rochester Marriott Airport
1890 West Ridge Road
Rochester, NY 14615
ASCA Level 3
Friday, May 3 from 8:00 PM to 4 PM
USA Swimming Regional Coaches Conference
Friday, May 3 from 4:30 to 7:00 PM,
Saturday, May 4 from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM
Sunday, May 5 from 8:30 AM to 11:55 AM
For details of the USA Swimming Regional Coaches conference and to register for the USA Swimming portion please visit:
The ASCA Level 3 Course
This course is open to all coaches. There are no pre-requirements and ASCA membership is NOT required. Participation in the USA Swimming Regional Coaches Clinic is not required for participation in the ASCA Level 3 Course. (But is highly encouraged because it is a very good clinic!)
All coaches will receive a 250 page manual onsite and extensive handouts by email.
The registration for the Level 3 course is $69 and is done through the ASCA.
This edition of the ASCA Level 3 course contains 7 sections (maybe 8):
- Basic Physiology – where does energy come from; how is it stored; and what systems are used for releasing energy? This is a very basic 9th grade level physiology overview.
- Principles of Training – 10 principles every coach should know. Most apply to all swimmers, some apply more to senior level swimming.
- The structure, purpose, and execution of a set. Examples from Olympic coaches.
- Season planning and writing workouts for 13 and over competitive swimmers. Where does a season training plan come from? What are the elements of a training plan? How to you fit it all together? We’ll create a season training program, slide by slide.
- Commonalities and differences between age group and senior swimmers. Age groupers are not just little seniors. You, the coach, need a different mindset for writing and running workouts. Practical advice.
- Season Planning and writing workouts for age group competitive swimmers. This is very different that writing workouts for senior swimmers! What are the Components of an age group workout and how do they fit together?
- Writing workouts for developmental swimmers. Priorities are completely different. Warm up? What warm up?
- And if time, Managing the Workout.
Course Instructor: This course will be presented by ASCA’s Guy Edson. Guy was a full time coach leading teams to multiple age group state championships in New York, and Illinois, and a Senior state championship in Minnesota before joining the staff of ASCA in 1988. He is a Level 5 Age Group coach. He has continued to coach novice through senior swimmers as a part time coach over the last 31 years and he is on the deck every day. He loves to plan, write, and run workouts and equally loves to share his experiences, knowledge, achievements, and lesson-gleaned mistakes with all coaches. His presentations are lively and filled with practical information and applicable stories. Many coaches who are already ASCA Level 3 retake this class just to get new ideas or to remember old ideas they have shelved and need to re-visit.
Register / Info