Browse Current Positions:
ASCA Job Listings
The Job Service is an up-to-the-minute listing of positions available for Head coaches, Assistant coaches, Age group coaches; College, High-school, Y’s and Master’s coaches; Aquatic Directors, Swim School Directors, seasonal positions, camp positions, and internships. This information is posted on our website and updated regularly.
The website listings are available to all coaches worldwide including ASCA’s 11,000 professional coach members.
The American Swimming Coaches Association has been running the Job Service Program and helping both employers and job-seeking coaches since 1986. ASCA provides:
- Expert Consultation via Toll-Free 800 Number
- A Variety of Helpful Documents by Email (including Contract Information, Interview Tips, Salary Information)
- Verification of applicant’s Certification credentials
- Posting of your announcement on the most widely visited coaching job site on the web averaging over 20,000 hits per month.
There are two basic benefits to ASCA’s annual Job Service Subscription:
- Wide Exposure For a Low Flat Rate Subscription Fee. The site is open to all coaches and employers worldwide. This is the premier place on the web for quality swim coaching positions! For a flat rate subscription fee employers can place one or more position announcements of extended text length and for any duration of time up to one year.These are far more than “classified ads.” These are full description announcements with the space to fully describe qualifications required, responsibilities expected, and compensation rewarded. We encourage employers to “sell” their position openings – to tell prospective candidates why your club is a good place to work and why your community is a good place to live. Give the structure, quality, and size of the club and give some details on community amenities.
- Consultation.We provide consultation by toll free phone on the hiring and interview process, on coach-employer relationships, club structure and finances, salaries, and contracts. We also provide upon request a variety of documents by email including information on interviewing the coach, coach evaluations, and contract information. Our consultants are experienced club coaches with over 15 years of experience in directing clubs and an additional 30 years experience visiting, working with, and consulting with clubs.In addition, we strongly encourage employers to call our office to verify credentials of candidates who state that they are ASCA certified.
- Annual Subscription for Unlimited Service – $200. Ads run for 60 days and then are automatically pulled unless the employer requests additional time. There is no fee to extend the posting time. Employers may update or change their ad at any time without charge. Employers may also place additional ads within the one year time frame at no additional charge. Size of ads are not limited within reason. Head coaches, Satellite Site Head Coaches, Aquatic Directors/Managers, ALL college positions, and all international positions pay this subscription rate.
- ASCA Job Service Limited Service for Multiple Assistant Positions and Seasonal Positions – $100. This is for USAS club or YMCA type programs that need to hire multiple assistant coaches. You can place multiple separate ads or one ad covering all positions. If you are a summer only program such as a recreation league, country club league, or camp you can place an ad for multiple positions under this category. Ads run for 60 days and then are automatically pulled. Extending the run time is an additional $100 and upgrades your service to a full one year unlimited subscription. This rate does not apply to college positions or international positions.
- Exception: Limited Service – $50 As a service to USA Swimming Clubs and YM/WCA ONLY we will list announcements for assistant coaches for a fee of $50 PER POSITION. These are single listings for 60 days and are strictly limited to Assistant Coaches of clubs — NO head coach positions, NO COLLEGE POSITIONS — ONLY for USA Swimming Clubs and YM/WCA’s. Employers may update their ad at any time within the 60 day subscription period without charge. If you are looking for several assistant coaches the fee is $50 per position for 60 days, or $100 for multiple positions for 60 days, or $200 for the unlimited subscription.
To List a Position in the Job Service:
If the position you are posting is a full-time Head Coaching Position with a parent owned USA Swimming club and the head coach receives his/her salary check from the board of directors, we list this as a “Rated Head Coach” position and ask the employer to complete a Position Evaluation.
The Position Evaluation helps clubs improve and make more attractive the position being offered and helps coaches better understand the major aspects of the position being offered. You can view the 17 page booklet entitled How to Employ the Best Swim Coach, which will help you understand how to improve your score on the Position Evaluation.
The Position Evaluation is an editable Word Doc. Fill in the boxes and blanks on the first two pages, save it, and email it in with your job announcement.
You can also print it and fax it or mail it. See Step 5 below.
Head Coach position announcements for other types of positions and assistant coach positions do not require a Position Evaluation.
Submit your job announcement by email to Guy Edson. Word Doc is preferred. PDF’s are ok. Supplemental PDF’s with extended details on the job description, or a job application, or more detailed club information can also be submitted and will be linked to the job announcement. External links to websites or online job applications can also be included. Some employers write extensive job announcements while others write brief paragraphs. It’s up to you. You can visit our job listings to see what others have done.
I read every ad as though I am a coach looking for a job. If something I read is confusing or incomplete I will email you with a suggestion. I will not edit the announcement without your permission. I will occasionally make formatting changes to make it more readable and sometimes the hidden codes that come in your document wreck havoc in my editing window and I need to go back to plain text and start the formatting over again. In all cases I aim to please the employer with the posting and will make whatever changes, additions, and edits you ask for.
It is helpful to include the following information
- Location: State, City, and if outside the US, Country
- Team Name
- Position Available: Head Coach USA Swimming Club, Head Coach YMCA, Assistant, Age Group (where there is a Head coach), Camp, University, High School, and so on
- ASCA Certification Level of Coach you are Seeking
- Job Description: Duties, Size of Team, Team Achievements
- Salary & Benefits
- Application Deadline
- Start Date
- Application Process: What do you want submitted (resume, cover letter, references, salary requirements, other?); How do you want it submitted (email, regular mail, online) and who to send it to (email address and/or physical address).
- Contact Person for further information. (Please include email address and/or phone.)
The fee is NOT based on the size of the job announcement so be sure to fully detail the position. Many announcements run a page or more. In addition, we encourage you to place a couple of sentences about what is special about your community. Why would a coach want to move his or her family to your town?
We STRONGLY encourage all coaching positions listed in ASCA’s Job Service to request an ASCA certified coach in their announcement. ASCA Certified means that a coach is a current coach member of ASCA and has submitted an application for certification. Read more about ASCA Certification here.
Step 4: Pay the Subscription Fee
Pay Online by Credit Card:
Purchase the Unlimited Job Service - $200
Other Payment Options:
Position Announcements are published within 24 hours after payment is received.
(More often, jobs are posted within a few hours of receiving payment.)
Please email the position announcement in Word Doc format (PDF ok also), position evaluation (if required), contact person’s name, address, and daytime phone to the ASCA Job Service administration by any of the following methods:
We Strongly Encourage You to Hire an ASCA Certified Coach!
ASCA Certified Coaches are full members of ASCA and have signed a Code of Ethics. They have presented themselves accountable for their past and continuing education and for their coaching results as shown by the quality of the swimmers they have produced. ASCA Certification is an option and embraced by those coaches viewing themselves as Professional Swimming Coaches.
Click here for full list of Certification Education and Achievement Requirements.
Please Note: Performance criteria for U.S. coaches is at a far higher level than that required of International coaches. Education criteria is the same for both U.S. and International coaches.
- Level 1 coaches are essentially entry-level coaches with a minimum of experience and a basic level of education which includes ASCA/USA Swimming’s Level 1 Foundations of Coaching course. Level 1 coaches are generally placed as assistant coaches under the guidance of a Level 3 or higher coach.
- Level 2 coaches generally have a year or more of experience and have completed the Level 1 course and the Level 2 Stroke School. Level 2 coaches are often placed as age group coaches, assistant senior coaches, and sometimes as head coaches in small programs.
- Level 3 U.S. coaches generally have been coaching for 3 or more years, have completed the Level 3 Physiology School, and have shown achievement in producing swimmers at a national level. Level 3 coaches are generally placed as head age group coaches in large programs, or as head coaches in small to moderately sized programs.
- Level 4 U.S. coaches are generally placed as head coaches of moderate to large swim clubs. They have produced finalists at senior nationals, or 40 Top 10 age groupers, or 20 High School All Americans, or 20 collegiate All Americans. Level 4 coaches generally have been coaching for 10 or more years and have completed the Level 4 Leadership School.
- Level 5 U.S. coaches are generally placed as head coaches of major swim clubs or college teams. They have produced finalists at the highest levels. They represent the finest of our American Coaches.
- Don’t forget to contact ASCA to confirm an applicant’s certification credentials. We provide this service by email only, and only for the direct employer of the swim coach. Email requests along with your name and title to email@example.com.
How Does Your Club Rate?
If your club is a Parent Owned Club (has a parent run board of directors) and employs a full time head coach, try our Position Evaluation.
Post Your Job Now
Browse Purchase Options