Browse Current Positions:
ASCA Job ListingsView All
The Job Service of the American Swimming Coaches Association
The ASCA Job Service has been connecting coaches and employers since 1986 and has been an influential mechanism for both coaches and clubs to find the right professional and organizational fit. Guy Edson, one of the most experienced coach educators in the world, has been personally managing the program for the past three decades. Guy has been teaching coursework, educating coaches, and working with clubs around the world throughout his long career with ASCA. In addition, he is a coach himself and knows the profession and those things critical to coach and club success. Guy becomes your personal consultant and advisor. And with an average of 10,000 visits per month, our site is the foremost place to let the swimming coaches of the world know about your job opening.
ASCA Job Service Offering:
You receive expert and researched advice on how to secure the best possible coach for your organization. Some of the services you will receive are:
- How to write a job description accurately and thoroughly, to entice the best candidate
- Supporting documents and data
- How to create a meaningful compensation package for your situation and community that keeps your coach on board for years
- How to interview coaches to get what you want, i.e., things to ask, things to look for, and how to separate a resume from a real candidate
- An OPTIONAL thorough “Position Evaluation Form” that is designed to accurately and completely represent what you are as an organization and WHY someone would want to work for you. It helps explain to you what areas of authority, compensation, and stability are meaningful to a coach looking to work with you.
- Verification of ASCA Certification and history
- Posting your position to an 11,000 coach network worldwide
- Finally, any ASCA coach has signed our Code of Ethics and Behavior Contract, and is CERTIFIED, so you can know with accuracy (rather than via creative resume writing) how they are educated and experienced and if they have coached athletes that have achieved high performance standards.
Why this will be the most important decision your club/board will make:
Every experienced swimming club representative in the world knows that your coach IS your club. The coach is the most important cog in the swim team wheel. Your coach will determine the success, culture, reputation, and in most cases, the financial health of your organization. Nothing is more important than your coach in making your club, and every individual in it, successful; not the facility, not the dedicated board of directors, and not your generous volunteers. YOUR COACH IS YOUR CLUB. So why not go to the best and most experienced facilitator in the world, the ASCA? Don’t your children/athletes deserve the best?
While there are a number job services, with many at no cost, there is no organization with the history, service, and value-added expertise that the ASCA Job Service has. ASCA is in the business of coaching. The cost of $220 becomes insignificant in the scope of a quality coach’s compensation, or the price paid for making the wrong hire. So when looking for a coach, your club’s most valuable asset, why not invest in the BEST possible process? We all know, when you get the wrong person coaching for you, the problems last for years. When you find the right coach, a generation of children and athletes in your community will be fulfilled personally and developed athletically.
To talk to Guy and post a job on the ASCA Job Service, call 1-800-356-2722 or email: email@example.com
Hire the best coach you can. It’s the most important decision your club will ever make.
The Job Service is an up-to-the-minute listing of positions available for Head coaches, Assistant coaches, Age group coaches; College, High-school, Y’s and Master’s coaches; Aquatic Directors, Swim School Directors, seasonal positions, camp positions, and internships. This information is posted on our website and updated regularly.
The website listings are available to all coaches worldwide including ASCA’s 11,000 professional coach members.
- Basic Subscription – $220. Ads run for 60 days and then are automatically pulled. Employers may update or change their ad at any time without charge. Size of ads are not limited within reason. Head coaches, Satellite Site Head Coaches, Aquatic Directors/Managers, ALL college positions, and all international positions pay this subscription rate.
- ASCA Job Service Limited Service for Multiple Assistant Positions and Seasonal Positions – $110. This is for USAS club or YMCA type programs that need to hire multiple assistant coaches. You can place multiple separate ads or one ad covering all positions. If you are a summer only program such as a recreation league, country club league, or camp you can place an ad for multiple positions under this category. Ads run for 60 days and then are automatically pulled. Extending the run time is an additional $110. This rate does not apply to college positions or international positions.
- Exception: Limited Service – $55 As a service to USA Swimming Clubs and YM/WCA ONLY we will list announcements for assistant coaches for a fee of $55 PER POSITION. These are single listings for 60 days and are strictly limited to Assistant Coaches of clubs — NO head coach positions, NO COLLEGE POSITIONS — ONLY for USA Swimming Clubs and YM/WCA’s. Employers may update their ad at any time within the 60 day subscription period without charge. If you are looking for several assistant coaches the fee is $55 per position for 60 days, or $110 for multiple positions for 60 days.
To List a Position in the Job Service:
If the position you are posting is a full-time Head Coaching Position with a parent owned USA Swimming club and the head coach receives his/her salary check from the board of directors, we can list this as a “Rated Head Coach” position and ask the employer to complete a Position Evaluation. This is an optional service at no additional cost.
If you would rather not fill out the Position Evaluation, the ad is placed under “Other Head Coach.”
The Position Evaluation helps clubs improve and make more attractive the position being offered and helps coaches better understand the major aspects of the position being offered. You can view the 17 page booklet entitled How to Employ the Best Swim Coach, which will help you understand how to improve your score on the Position Evaluation.
The Position Evaluation is an editable Word Doc. Fill in the boxes and blanks on the first two pages, save it, and email it in with your job announcement.
Submit your job announcement by email to Erin Rider. Word Doc is preferred. PDF’s are ok. Supplemental PDF’s with extended details on the job description, or a job application, or more detailed club information can also be submitted and will be linked to the job announcement. External links to websites or online job applications can also be included. Some employers write extensive job announcements while others write brief paragraphs. It’s up to you. You can visit our job listings to see what others have done.
I read every ad as though I am a coach looking for a job. If something I read is confusing or incomplete I will email you with a suggestion. I will not edit the announcement without your permission. I will occasionally make formatting changes to make it more readable and sometimes the hidden codes that come in your document wreck havoc in my editing window and I need to go back to plain text and start the formatting over again. In all cases I aim to please the employer with the posting and will make whatever changes, additions, and edits you ask for.
It is helpful to include the following information in paragraph form.
- Location: State, City, and if outside the US, Country
- Team Name
- Position Available: Head Coach USA Swimming Club, Head Coach YMCA, Assistant, Age Group (where there is a Head coach), Camp, University, High School, and so on
- ASCA Certification Level of Coach you are Seeking
- Job Description: Duties, Size of Team, Team Achievements
- Salary & Benefits
- Application Deadline
- Start Date
- Application Process: What do you want submitted (resume, cover letter, references, salary requirements, other?); How do you want it submitted (email, regular mail, online) and who to send it to (email address and/or physical address).
- Contact Person for further information. (Please include email address and/or phone.)
The fee is NOT based on the size of the job announcement so be sure to fully detail the position. Many announcements run a page or more. In addition, we encourage you to place a couple of sentences about what is special about your community. Why would a coach want to move his or her family to your town?
We STRONGLY encourage all coaching positions listed in ASCA’s Job Service to request an ASCA certified coach in their announcement. ASCA Certified means that a coach is a current coach member of ASCA and has submitted an application for certification. Read more about ASCA Certification here.
Step 4: Pay the Subscription Fee
Pay Online by Credit Card:
Basic Subscription - $220 for 60 daysClick Here
For Multiple Assistant Positions with USA Swimming Clubs and YM/WCA -- $110 for 60 DaysClick Here
For Single Assistant Positions with USA Swimming Clubs and YM/WCA -- $55 for 60 DaysClick Here
Other Payment Options:
- Mail Check to ASCA at: 5101 NW 21st Ave, Suite 530, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309″
- Pay by phone with credit card at 800-356-2722
Position Announcements are published within 24 hours after payment is received.
(More often, jobs are posted within a few hours of receiving payment.)
We Strongly Encourage You to Hire an ASCA Certified Coach!
ASCA Certified Coaches are full members of ASCA and have signed a Code of Ethics. They have presented themselves accountable for their past and continuing education and for their coaching results as shown by the quality of the swimmers they have produced. ASCA Certification is an option and embraced by those coaches viewing themselves as Professional Swimming Coaches.
Click here for full list of Certification Education and Achievement Requirements.
Please Note: Performance criteria for U.S. coaches is at a far higher level than that required of International coaches. Education criteria is the same for both U.S. and International coaches.
- Level 1 coaches are essentially entry-level coaches with a minimum of experience and a basic level of education which includes ASCA/USA Swimming’s Level 1 Foundations of Coaching course. Level 1 coaches are generally placed as assistant coaches under the guidance of a Level 3 or higher coach.
- Level 2 coaches generally have a year or more of experience and have completed the Level 1 course and the Level 2 Stroke School. Level 2 coaches are often placed as age group coaches, assistant senior coaches, and sometimes as head coaches in small programs.
- Level 3 U.S. coaches generally have been coaching for 3 or more years, have completed the Level 3 Physiology School, and have shown achievement in producing swimmers at a national level. Level 3 coaches are generally placed as head age group coaches in large programs, or as head coaches in small to moderately sized programs.
- Level 4 U.S. coaches are generally placed as head coaches of moderate to large swim clubs. They have produced finalists at senior nationals, or 40 Top 10 age groupers, or 20 High School All Americans, or 20 collegiate All Americans. Level 4 coaches generally have been coaching for 10 or more years and have completed the Level 4 Leadership School.
- Level 5 U.S. coaches are generally placed as head coaches of major swim clubs or college teams. They have produced finalists at the highest levels. They represent the finest of our American Coaches.
- Don’t forget to contact ASCA to confirm an applicant’s certification credentials. We provide this service by email only, and only for the direct employer of the swim coach. Email requests along with your name and title to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How Does Your Club Rate?
If your club is a Parent Owned Club (has a parent run board of directors) and employs a full time head coach, try our Position Evaluation.