Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Address of Job: 220 Clark Street, Westfield, New Jersey 07090
Phone Number: (908) 301-9622
Team Name: Westfield Y Devilfish
Position Type: Head Coach
Organization Type: Recreational, other
The Westfield Area YMCA seeks a dynamic leader to be our Director of Competitive Aquatics/Head Coach and continue the success of our Devilfish swim team. The Westfield Area YMCA Devilfish swim team is a highly competitive program that has produced athletes at a high level for many years. The Devilfish team is extremely competitive at the YMCA state and national level and most recently, having swimmers qualify for national meets and USA Olympic team trials. The Devilfish coaching staff works hard to advance swimmers to reach their full potential no matter where they start from. This is a very tight knit community that loves swimming and supporting each other to advance in the sport.
The Devilfish have over 250 swimmers from the ages 6-18. The team practices at the Westfield Area YMCA pool as well as a second site in Cranford. The program runs year round in three seasons: Fall, Spring, and Summer. For summer long course training, the team swims out of multiple outdoor Olympic size pools. The ideal candidate will have experience running a large highly competitive swim team and also have proven experience in training senior level swimmers. The candidate must be a good manager and knowledge of Team Unify, Meet Manager and operating a Colorado timing system is strongly preferred or must be learned.
Under the direction of the Senior Director – Physical Programs, and in harmony with the mission and purpose of the established goals of the Westfield Area YMCA, the Director of Competitive Aquatics is responsible for the management, supervision, and evaluation of the Devilfish swim team and pre-competitive swim teams. He/she is responsible for the certification training necessary to be a certified swim coach in accordance with the YMCA of the USA and USA Swimming. The Director of Competitive Aquatics is responsible for program, budget, personnel, maintenance, equipment, trainings/staff meetings, risk management, and quality assurance. In addition, must exemplify that member service is an equal part of any position in the “YMCA” and must demonstrate a commitment to the YMCA’s four Core Values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility.
Supervise, develop and oversee operations of the Devilfish Swim Team and Competitive Aquatics Department; Focus on high quality coaching and athlete progression at all levels in a safe and nurturing manner; Maintain positive relationships with members, participants and staff through good communication, core values, and interaction; Prioritize finding meets for Devilfish swimmers to participate in and ensure timely registration; attend dual meets, YMCA championship meets and USA Invitational meets; prepare lineups for YMCA Dual Meets. Develop a strong knowledge of the meet manager software, team unify website and operation of a Colorado timing system; provide staff leadership over the annual Devilfish Classic Swim Meet; Oversee any swim clinics, the spring training and long course programs and provide individual/small group lessons as needed. In coordination with the Associate Director, oversee the Devilfish team tryout process including scheduling, inquiries and responses post tryouts. Promote and recruit new swimmers for the Westfield Area YMCA swim team; Responsible for new program development and shall develop new programs as program space is available; ensure smooth administration of the team; respond timely to parent questions and concerns (via email or over the phone), ideally within 24-48 business hours; available to work mornings, evenings and weekends for practice sessions or swim meets as scheduled; Ensure coaches are tracking practice attendance for all practice groups; Responsible for evaluating the Competitive Aquatics program at the end of season (Fall/Winter and Spring/Summer); Ensure the Devilfish team handbook stays up to date; Change/update the Westfield Area YMCA record board in April annually; Assist in a leadership capacity with team’s social events—i.e., Holiday Party and Swim Team Banquet; Adhere to all aquatic safety rules and standards set by the YMCA Aquatic and Competitive Aquatic Directors.
- ASHI Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers and Professional Rescuer and ASHI Basic First Aid with EPI and Asthma, or equivalent certifications.
- Emergency Oxygen Administration certification.
- American Red Cross and/or YMCA Lifeguard Certification
- Coaches Safety Training for swim coaches
- Principles of Competitive Swimming Certification and Certified Pool Operator must be obtained within one year of hire
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Member of USA Swimming (NJ)
- Must have an enthusiastic attitude and good communication skills to be able to interact with and maintain positive relations with members, participants and staff
- Experience working with children of all ages and abilities
- The person in this position must have the knowledge required for the management of a competitive swim team program of 250+ swimmers, hire and supervise staff, facilities, equipment, scheduling, and the ability to work closely with the Devilfish Parent Assistance Committee.
- Subsidized medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 100% contribution towards life insurance and long term disability
- Optional life insurance and dependent life insurance available at low rates
- Paid Time Off and paid holidays
- Complimentary YMCA Family Membership
- Access to one of the leading retirement programs “Y Retirement Fund” with a 12% company contribution to the fund after meeting the eligibility period.
- A rewarding career with professional growth
- Reduced program fees and child care discounts in select programs
About the Organization:
The Westfield Area YMCA is a nonprofit human service organization dedicated to developing the full potential of every individual and family in the communities it serves through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.
We know that lasting personal and social change comes about when we all work together. That’s why at the Y, strengthening community is our cause. Every day, we work side-by-side with our neighbors to make sure that everyone, regardless of age, income or background, has the opportunity to learn, grow and thrive.