Director of Aquatics and Assistant Head Swim Team Coach
Blue Ash YMCA
Listed July 15, 2019
Updated August 30, 2019
We are looking for an “Assistant Head Swim Team Coach and Director of Aquatics”, with a high level of swimming experience and coaching experience. As a full time director at the YMCA all benefits (vacation, health and retirement) and a competitive salary will be included. We are looking for someone to provide leadership and management for the branch Swim Team, Aquatics department operations, staff, budget, fundraising, as well as the program and membership experience in accordance with all YMCA of Greater Cincinnati policies, procedures and standards.
Blue Ash YMCA – As branch of the YMCA of Greater Cincinnati, our team has a strong 200+ swimmers team who earned Bronze Medal ranking for 2019. We have produced Y National Champions, Ohio HS Champions, and top 10 athletes in Ohio. We have 2 indoor 25 yard pools, an outdoor 50 Meter pool, and a strong lesson program that attracts many swimmer from the numerous local summer swim clubs.
- Recruit, hire, train, develop, schedule and manage a high performing staff focused on providing exceptional service and work well as a team.
- Develop strategies to provide support and motivation to staff for the achievement of goals and retention.
- Review and evaluate staff performance.
- Develop strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals.
- Maintain staff retention through positive reinforcement and support.
- Ensure adequate lifeguard coverage of all pools during operating hours.
- Conduct swim lesson instructor and safety certification trainings.
- Responsible for safety drills/audits, monthly documented staff meetings/development and trainings.
- Ensures staff certification records are current and fulfill all in-service standards.
- Play a central role in the Coaching Leadership Team, supporting, challenging and inputting into the cultural framework & daily performance environment of the swim program
- Be a daily presence on deck as the Lead Coach with our Age Group program, includes coaching two training levels.
- Lead the administrative back end of the program through Team Unify platform
- Implement the programs social media strategy & communications
- Manage team travel at designated events
- Effectively communicate the mission, vision and values of the YMCA of Cincinnati.
- Ensure all programs comply with YMCA standards and methods of operation.
- Integrate member-service and engagement strategies into all programs to ensure positive member recruitment and retention.
- Build and expand the program enrollment and participation.
- Coordinate relationship with Lifeguard provider SWIMSAFE.
- Keep accurate records of attendance, retention, for member and non-member participation.
- Ensure progress reports are distributed consistently to program participants.
- Monitor and evaluate delivery and effectiveness of programs and staff for the highest possible level of quality.
- Be visible to staff and members.
- Respond to all member and community inquiries and concerns within 24 hours.
- Communicate program information, changes and needs in a timely manner to supervisor and branch staff.
- Develop, monitor and meet or exceed budget targets.
- Produce effective and efficient staff schedules within set payroll budget parameters.
- Maintain complete familiarity with all risk management procedures and policies.
- Monitor daily pool operations to adhere to all state and local health and safety regulations.
- Organize, plan and schedule pools for instructional and recreational activities.
- Maintain program area and equipment in an orderly, clean and safe condition. Report any irregularities to maintenance personnel.
- Keep an up to date inventory on all equipment, materials and supplies.
- Serve as a member of the branch management team performing specific duties which support the overall success of branch operations.
- Communicate information promptly to all branch leadership and departmental staff.
- Attend applicable training and conferences to further professional development.
- All other duties as assigned.
EFFECT ON END RESULT: Provide leadership and guidance to ensure the achievement of goals and objectives of the Aquatics Department with high levels of participation, satisfaction and retention of members, participants and staff.
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Relevant experience in aquatics
- 3-5 Years’ experience with Swim team
- Coaching Experience required
- Commitment to the YMCA mission, vision and values
- Must attend New Employee Orientation within 30 days of hire
- Complete BLS/AED, First Aid, O2, Lifeguard Certification, Listen First Workshop, and YSL Trainer in accordance with Conditions of Employment
- Understand and abide by all policies and procedures as set forth by the association
- Work a schedule that reflects the needs of the branch
- Must be able to frequently perform the following physical activities; swim, bend, stoop, kneel, twist, reach with hands, sit, stand for extended periods of time, walk, lift and carry up to 50 pounds, and communicate verbally
- Must be able to perform work both indoors and out and be exposed to prevalent weather conditions
- Must maintain lifeguard certification level of physical and mental readiness
- Must be able to visually see all sections of an assigned zone or area of responsibility
- Must be able to adequately hear noises and distinguish distress signals
- Must possess ability to remain alert and maintain concentration for long periods of time to ensure safety of participants
- Must possess ability to make independent and sound decisions in a rapidly changing environment
- Must be able to show initiative in the absence of supervision
- Must be able to relate to and work with diverse groups of people in a friendly and consistent manner
- Must be able to handle questions/concerns and resolve conflicts in a courteous and professional manner
- Must maintain a neat and professional appearance
Starting at $38,000 – $42,000
Starting in Late August 2019
More information – Bill Whatley, Head Coach, firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-226-2193