Director of Aquatics
NEW YORK, LOCUST VALLEY
Piping Rock Club
Listed November 16, 2020
Director of Aquatics – Piping Rock Club
Locust Valley, New York
Piping Rock Club is a family-oriented, full-service Country Club located on the North Shore of Long Island, New York. Founded in 1911, we are proud to offer our membership the finest in sporting activities, including a nationally ranked C.B. Macdonald golf course, trapshooting, croquet, and a racquets facility with 29 indoor and outdoor tennis, squash, and paddle tennis courts. The separate beach club facility is situated with a 25 yard, six-lane pool, 12 foot deep diving well, and toddler wading pool along with a beach designated for swimming that is under Club lifeguard supervision.
We are seeking a new Director of Aquatics to begin in the Summer of 2021. The Director of Aquatics will be responsible for organizing and directing all Piping Rock Club pool and beach activities and events, swim team coordination, and individual lessons and clinics as well as coordinating those administrative duties necessary to safely operate and maintain an outstanding pool facility. This is a seasonal position from late May through mid-September. Programs and events are offered for all levels and ages of swimmers. Working with the Beach Committee, and in co-operation with all other club professionals and departments, the Director of Aquatics will have the primary responsibility for providing an outstanding aquatics program and maintain an unrivaled summer facility for Piping Rock Club members, their families, and their guests.
Reporting to the General Manager and the Chair of the Beach Committee, the Director of Aquatics shall embody the culture and traditions of the Club and foster exemplary sportsmanship and humility, particularly among juniors. The Director of Aquatics is expected to encourage a life-long love of swimming by offering comprehensive swim instruction and adult programs.
Specific responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to the following:
Pool and Beach Management
- Responsible for the safety and well-being of all persons who are using the Beach Club facilities
- Attend scheduled Beach Committee meetings at the beginning and end of season.
- Maintain proper chemical balance in pool and ensure that all mechanical equipment is in working order
- Coordinate any maintenance and repairs with grounds and maintenance department
- Oversee daily pool cleaning schedule. Assess equipment needs for long term pool maintenance
- Work with the Beach Club Manager to ensure the pool terrace and beach areas are clean and orderly
- Communicate positive feedback as well as specific concerns to Beach Manager, Beach Committee, or Junior Activities Committee promptly and as needed to ensure well-being of members and staff
- Develop and implement Pool Safety Program that enforces club pool policies and procedures regarding safety of pool and immediate area.
- Help recruit, train, and supervise lifeguards who are certified in lifeguarding (pool/calm water beach) and Professional CPR/AED/First Aid
- Establish and oversee lifeguard conditioning regimen
- Communicate clear expectations for lifeguard duties both while on and off duty that align with Club rules and expectations
- Arrange for uniforms for lifeguard staff
- Be on-site during pool/beach operating hours and ensure supervisory coverage at all times
Swim Programs for Adults and Juniors including Instruction, Clinics, Coaching, and Fitness
- Engender a culture of sportsmanship and encourage a life-long love of swimming based on strong fundamentals, age-appropriate competitions, and skills
- Develop and follow a clear, skill-based swim curriculum that encourages improvement and challenges various levels of junior swimmers
- Teach proficiency in all four strokes for a minimum of 25 yards
- Provide lessons and clinics relating to the techniques and strategies of swimming and diving for members and their children
- Arrange for diving instruction for juniors and recruit for Dive team
- Work with Junior Activities Committee and other professionals in helping to administer the summer Sports Group camp program (ages 4-14), including the coaching of the Piping Rock Club swim team (ages 7-14)
- Organize and run inter-club North Shore swim meets and intra-club races/game days that help swimmers improve and feel accomplishment as part of the Piping Rock Club Swim and Dive teams
- Attend Sports Group awards night and recognize accomplishments in swimming/diving at the end of the camp season
- Maintain an accurate record of all lessons and clinics given to young swimmers and enter into point of sale system
- Create a welcoming environment for members and their families
- Ensure that all club members and guests receive prompt, courteous, and professional attention for their needs in the pool area
- Promote swim activities to the membership (i.e. clinics, lap swimming hours, and swim meets)
- Develop a detailed summer calendar of swim activities in coordination with committee heads, General Manager, Catering Manager, and other head professionals
- Organize family games and swim races during holidays (Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day)
- Organize swim options for adult swimmers of varying levels
- Implement water aerobics classes and other training/health-based programs to bring all members to the pool
- Manage a Pool Shop carrying items for sale such as Piping Rock Club team swimsuits, hats, goggles, sunscreen, etc.
Key Qualifications and Relevant Past Experience
The perfect candidate for this position would be professional both in person and in all communications, have experience in training junior swimmers and supervising a swim team, always be cognizant of hazards, and have a safety-first mentality. We are seeking a person who would bring enthusiasm and energy to the program while maintaining our 110-year-old traditions. Required certifications are listed below. Substitutions for similar certification may be permitted. All certifications must be kept up to date.
- Nassau County Level II or III Lifeguard
- American Red Cross (ARC) Lifeguard Management
- ARC Water Safety Instructor
- ARC CPR/AED for Lifeguard or Professional Rescuer
- ARC Basic Life Support or Responding to Emergencies First Aid
- Certified Pool Operator
- ARC Lifeguard and/or CPR/AED/First Aid Instructor preferred
We offer a competitive salary with bonus eligibility, paid sick leave, and generous commissions on lessons, clinics, and shop sales. We are an E/O/E.
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to:
Human Resource Director
Piping Rock Club
150 Piping Rock Road
Locust Valley, NY 11560
For additional information, you may call Rob at (516) 470-9689. Online application may be submitted at www.pipingrockclub.org/employment.