Learn to Swim Director
NEW YORK, BUFFALO
Buffalo City Swim Racers
Listed August 13, 2019
The Learn to Swim (LTS) Director under the direction of the Executive Director is responsible for organizing and implementing a diverse and safe swim program which will incorporate large group and individual activities, swim lessons for all ages and promote program participation. Responsibilities also include hiring, staff supervision, budget oversight, planning and confirmation of staff assignments and schedules and staff training. The LTS Director is responsible for providing quality leadership and supervision in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that promotes member wellness and engagement in accordance with BCSR policies and procedures. The LTS Director will develop plans and will implement new procedures and methods to achieve strategic goals. The position’s key function is to build strong, lasting relationships with members, employees and volunteers that will build healthy lifestyles.
The selected candidate will be required to pass a USA Swimming Background Check, Athlete Protection Training and adhere to all USA Swimming and USOC Safe Sport protocols.
- Recruit, train, supervise, and evaluate all learn-to-swim staff.
- Develop, implement, track, and oversee the LTS department budget, in accordance with BCSR budget guidelines and approval of the Executive Director.
- Review program schedules, staffing capacity and revenues to meet the community needs.
- Maintain proper health and safety standards, in accordance with BCSR, USA Swimming and Risk Management Inc.
- Know and understand all, state and local health and safety requirements, including Pool Safety Plan, Emergency Action Plan, Emergency Evacuation Routes and staff certifications.
- Collaborate and build positive relationships with participants, parents, staff and community organizations, in accordance with strategic and operating plans.
- Serve as a role model to promote and demonstrate professional demeanor.
- Maintain all records, in accordance with regulations, staff training and certifications, program member attendance and evaluation of participant skills, and Department of Health (DOH) requirements.
- Maintain personal certifications and be responsible for re-certification before expiration.
- Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
- High School Diploma or GED required. Bachelor’s degree preferred in the area of Physical Education, Exercise Science, Health Education or related field.
- Minimum of one-year experience in an aquatics related management position.
- Certified as a lifeguard, CPR, First Aid, USA Swimming Coach (WSI, CPO and/or LGI certification preferred).
- Excellent communication skills. Must have excellent oral communication skills to work positively with different populations, in groups and individually.
- Effective leadership skills and strong work ethic.
- Efficient, well organized, and able to handle a variety of duties simultaneously
- Professional manner, discretion, and appearance
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Energetic, enthusiastic and motivational
- Availability when facility is open: This could include nights, weekends, and holidays.
- This position requires that the LTS Director be able to swim well enough to maintain current lifeguard certification and maintain physical shape to perform lifeguarding duties.
- Due to multiple pool sites a vehicle and drivers license is required.
- Be proficient or capable of learning computer programs such as Team Unify, Hytek and social media.
- Supports Head Coach/ Executive Director and team policies
- Conducts himself/herself with the highest moral and ethical standards
- Follows the chain of command starting with the head coach to board president to board of directors
- Establishes an environment that fosters positive team attitudes, encourages self-discipline, sportsmanship and responsibility
- Promotes the organization
- Maintains current USA Swimming coach membership including completion of all required safety courses
- Maintains full compliance with USA Swimming Code of Conduct
- Positive role model to athletes
- Seek and attend educational opportunities offered by the organization or beyond
- Proven track record of on-boarding, training and motivating employees
- Excellent communication, time management, leadership and employee development skills
- Documented computer skills- Microsoft Office, Quickbooks
- Prior management experience
- American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor
- Lifeguard instructor certified
- Knowledge and working experience with athletic programs and teams
- Grant writing experience
- Experience with social media, website support, Hytek Team Manager software and Team Unify software
Commensurate with experience
Cover letter, resume and references can be sent to:
Buffalo City Swim Racers
Attn: Michael F. Switalski, Executive Director
651 Delaware Avenue
Buffalo, NY 14202
Closing Date for Applications is September 30.