Job Title: Head Coach
CA, Marin County
North Bay Aquatics
Listed March 8, 2021
MISSION AND VALUES
Mission: North Bay Aquatics coaches excellence and character through competitive swimming.
North Bay Aquatics (NBA) (http://www.northbayaquatics.org) is a swim team of diverse backgrounds, but we all share the same core values:
- a genuine enthusiasm for engaging in the NBA process, even when that process is demanding
- a competitive fire
- a willingness to bring our best to everything we do, even when no one is looking
- a team-first attitude
We have high expectations of our NBA family—which includes coaches, swimmers, alumni, and supporting families from our more than 15-year history—and we look for new members who are excited and willing to hold themselves to these same standards. North Bay Aquatics has an outstanding competitive Bronze Medal awarded youth program and a robust masters swim program. The NBA family enjoys a strong social engagement to the program built through the camaraderie felt across the team.
Established in 2001, NBA was founded by Ken DeMont, a 4-year All American College Swimmer under the tutelage of Bob Davis and Dick Jochums – two world-renowned coaches who trained multiple Olympic medalists. Senior Group and Masters Coach Don Swartz (an ASCA Hall of Fame coach) has been a part of NBA since 2005. NBA operates as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
North Bay Aquatics has had athletes in the last 3 Olympic Trials and continues to have many Senior National level and Junior National level qualifiers as well as a recent Junior National Champion. USA Swimming has awarded NBA Bronze Medal Club recognition five of the last six years. NBA swimmers regularly go on to swim in Division I, II and III college programs, often for all four years. NBA also runs a successful Masters program with over 150 active members, including everything from professional triathletes, world-class open water swimmers, medal winners at Masters Nationals, and people who just see swimming as a great form of exercise. North Bay Aquatics is at its core a highly competitive program which shares genuine enthusiasm and pride in how the members in its family show up on the pool deck and in the world. NBA is comprised of swimmers predominantly from Marin County, but also from neighboring Napa and Sonoma Counties and San Francisco.
NORTH BAY AQUATICS is currently looking for a leader to become the Head Coach for its competitive Senior level Youth swim program. The Head Coach is responsible for the overall direction, coordination and supervision of the NORTH BAY AQUATICS competitive program (including a, senior/national and pre-senior team.) NORTH BAY AQUATICS currently has approximately 80 competitive swimmers across these two groups.
The Head Coach is responsible for overseeing a vibrant, competitive Senior level Youth swim program that is dedicated to the outcome of quality programming; i.e. swimmers who are life-long learners, competing for their goals and enjoying the holistic process of competitive swimming. The Head Coach reports directly to the Board of Trustees and is a member of that Board. The Head Coach oversees and supervises approximately four part-time coaches.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following;
- Lead and develop a competitive swim team providing technical instruction and motivation
- Define and implement a complete dry-land program
- Organize, run, and/or attend competitive swim events on both local and national platforms – typically attending one to two swim meets per month
- Continuously motivate and inspire the team to be their best, in and out of the pool (aka. be the team morale manager)
- Conduct short- and long-term planning for all team activities including training blocks, swim meets, and culture building / team building events (e.g., annual awards banquet)
- Proactively establish and maintain good swim team parent relations which includes providing appropriate levels of access and communication
- Identify, engage and coordinate with parent volunteers to support swim team activities such as swim meet travel, and swim meet organization
- Collaborate with Operations to coordinate and align on pool schedule, pool space needs and swim meet plans
- Collaborate with Operations to align on team culture, vision and related activities to support the youth programs
- Work with the Operations to propose, review and align on any plans that require budget expenditure
- Recruit, manage, evaluate and mentor assistant coaches
- Proactively develop relationships with key community members to further the reputation and success of NBA including local high school coaches, summer club coaches, local pool managers and operators
- Actively recruit swimmers while developing a good understanding of the pipeline of swimming talent through regular communication and collaboration with all youth coaches
- Liaise with local aquatic groups and participate in local and national coaching associations
- Maintain all coaching certifications
- Lead and/or participate in fundraising and other activities for the general growth and development of the team
- Communicate with local pools regarding operational and/or maintenance issues of the pool facilities
- Stay current on, and participate in, learning opportunities for coaches (i.e., conferences, webinars, articles, videos, etc.)
- As a non-voting member of the NBA Board of Directors, attend quarterly meetings, present timely reports on team progress
Qualifications and Requirements
- Must be able to convince NBA that you are up to the leadership challenge
- Demonstrated leadership characteristics
- Minimum five years professional coaching experience with direct influence on success of individual and team success
- Expertise in building and maintaining strong relationships with club members, regardless of ability
- Member in good standing with current LSC
- USA Swimming Deck Pass credentials
- Demonstrated experience working with different communication formats
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience participating at competitive swim events
- Knowledge of USA Swimming operations
- Experience with an organization that is governed by a Board of Directors
- Awareness of, and training in emergency procedures; and the supervision of staff in emergency management
Equal Opportunity Employer
NBA hiring policies require a background check for all applicants working directly with at-risk populations, including this position.
NBA offers a compensation package that includes a competitive salary and benefits based upon experience.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.