Job Title: Head Coach
Davis Aquatic Masters
Listed November 20, 2020
Davis Aquatic Masters Head Coach Job Listing
The mission of the Davis Aquatic Masters (DAM) is to benefit the community through increased physical fitness via swimming competition, and education about the health benefits of swimming. DAM promotes physical fitness through swimming for all adult members of the community and promotes competition through events open to the community and Northern California.
Davis is a suburb of Sacramento with a population of 70,000. Davis is considered one of the best places to live in California, close to Napa, San Francisco, and the beautiful Sierra mountains. It’s home to the Davis Aquatic Masters, the University of California, and is known as the bicycle capital of America. Downtown Davis features numerous coffee shops, eateries with fresh-air dining, and parks. Every Saturday, the Davis farmer’s market sells ready-made meals and desserts, and locally grown fruits and produce. On Wednesdays, March through October, it hosts Picnic in the Park for the whole town. Davis is a vibrant, growing community with an excellent school system and a safe, friendly environment.
About Davis Aquatic Masters (DAM)
DAM has a long-standing place in the community, and we strive to serve our swim members as well as our city.
DAM held their first official workout in 1974. The workout was attended by a handful of enthusiastic swimmers and a local aquatics coach. Little did they know that their optimistic efforts would someday result in one of the largest, most successful Masters swimming clubs in the country. Membership grew from its first 11 members in 1974, to an all-time peak of 710 members in 2014. Today DAM is 500 members strong, ranging in ability and age, from 18 to 92.
A Board of Directors was established in 1975 and the club incorporated. In 2011, DAM established 501(c)3 non-profit organization status. Board members are involved in all aspects of club management.
DAM is particularly proud of our history of offering 9 one-hour swim workouts every week day (pre-COVID), 3 intensive workouts on Saturdays, and 3 hours of lap swim sessions on both Saturdays and Sundays. Our club is also known for hosting many popular swim events, in particular, the Lake Berryessa Open Water swim which recently celebrated its 38th year!
Through the years, DAM has received numerous awards and recognition, including the USMS Club of the Year (2011), USMS Coach of the Year (1990, 2012), Long Distance National Championship (2019), USMS Newsletter of the Year (1997), and PacMasters Distinguished Service Award (2001), that confirm our long history of excellent coaches, coaching and dedicated swimmers.
DAM has been honored to be coached by the “dynamic duo” Stu and Mary Kahn for the past 12 years. We are recruiting for a head coach, as Stu and Mary plan their retirement. We are committed to finding a coach who can carry on the great tradition and mission of our club, with the same level of enthusiasm and dedication. And as a DAM coach, you’ll experience first-hand the earned generosity of team members, appreciation and loyalty to the coaches, and our fun-spirited nature as we celebrate birthdays and holidays and make lasting memories together at numerous team sponsored events.
- USMS member
- Current Red Cross certification in:
- Lifeguard Training
- First Aid
- CPR and AED standards
- Title 22 (First Aid for the Professional Rescuer)
- USMS Level III Certified Coach; comprehensive knowledge of swim stroke mechanics and the ability to demonstrate, explain, and correct swimming technique (Note: if applicant does not have Level III Certification, upon hiring it must be completed in the next 12-18 months of employment)
- Minimum five years professional coaching experience
- Experience working with different communication styles
- Expertise in building and maintaining strong relationships with club members, regardless of ability
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience participating at competitive swim events
- Working knowledge of computers, websites, and internet use
- Knowledge of USMS operations
- Experience with an organization that is governed by a Board of Directors
- Awareness of, and training in emergency procedures; and the supervision of staff in emergency management
- Minimum 24 hours per week on-deck coaching; weekly time spent on mentoring and developing assistant coaches, and developing swim workouts for a varied demographic (age, experience and ability)
- Additional time spent weekly or monthly on administrative duties including, but not limited to:
- work with the webmaster on weekly communication to members
- develop reports for monthly Board of Directors meetings
- liaise with local aquatics groups
- communicate with the city of Davis regarding operational and/or maintenance issues of the pool facilities
- stay current on, and participate in, learning opportunities for coaches (i.e., conferences, webinars, articles, videos, etc.)
- actively participate in the recruitment, training and evaluation of all coaches
- attend monthly Board of Directors meeting; present monthly report, work to maintain budgets and optimize expenses
- organize and run competitive swim events on both local and national platforms
- oversee part-time staff (substitute coaches and lifeguards)
- stay informed on the condition of club swim equipment (fins, buoys, hand paddles, etc.)
Salary and Application Requirements
DAM offers a competitive salary package commensurate with experience. The package includes a base salary of $60,000-$75,000, plus vacation, retirement, health insurance, professional development, and travel expense reimbursement for swim meets. The potential for additional financial incentives may be available and will be negotiated when an employment contract is drafted.
The preferred start date is May 1, 2021. Applications received prior to December 31, 2020 will be given first consideration. The position will remain open until filled.
The DAM Board of Directors reserves the right to conduct in-depth pre-employment screening, including but not limited to criminal background check, physical, drug screening, past employment and education verification, and a social media review.
Davis Aquatic Masters is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest, a coaching philosophy statement, resume and letters of reference from 3 professional colleagues, with contact information for each.
Email Applications to:
Diane M. Barrett: Dianebarrett3@gmail.com
Patricia Quinn: Prose.Quinn@gmail.com