Coach | Performance Aquatics
POSITION TITLE: Developmental Coach / Operations Manager
REPORTS TO: Head Coach/CEO, PAQ Swimming
LOCATION: Boca Raton & southeast Florida, USA
POSITION TYPE & FLSA STATUS: Trial period/Part-Time: days & hours vary, hourly. ¾ Time/Full Time: Exempt.
Salary Range: Competitive within FGC LSC, commensurate with experience. Trial/Part-time, hourly ($14-$18/hr. per experience). ¾ Time/Full Time salary $22K-$42K/annual, with bonus and incentives. Ability to supplement income with lessons, clinics, etc.
Comprehensive employment: Competitive pay, paid vacations, incentive programs for athlete performance and team growth, encouragement and financial support for professional development, free Masters swimming membership/competitive training.
Paid Vacation: Quality of life is important at PAQ. PTO 5 weeks (25 business days): includes 5 days in March after Spring season, 10 days in July/August (placement dependent on meet schedule) after Summer season, 7 days during Holiday, 3 days of your choice in the calendar year (1/quarter). Additional unpaid vacation is available by request, with approval.
ABOUT US www.PAQswim.com
The Performance Aquatics Swim Club (PAQ Swimming) is a year-round USA Swimming club located in coastal southeast Florida. PAQ is a boutique program; small by design (<75) to serve athletes aged 13+older. The club operates from two locations, one of which includes a 50-meter pool. PAQ offers high-quality professional coaching and technique instruction for swimmers of all expertise and abilities…and consistently qualifies athletes for Sectionals, Futures, US Nationals, Olympic Trials, many international Championships, FINA World Championships, and the Olympic Games. PAQ is fully coach-owned and coach-run, established in 2011 with a niche focus on senior athletes including postgrads and master’s swimmers, with members’ abilities ranging from teenage beginners to world-class career athletes. As one of the premier clubs in the region, PAQ creates a safe and positive environment where athletes from many nations can thrive and develop performance to their own greatest ability.
PAQ MISSION: Performance Aquatics (PAQ) addresses the individualized training needs of motivated 13+older athletes. Through expert one-on-one coaching, disciplined high performance training, and extraordinary focus on technique, PAQ provides swimmers the opportunity and multi-dimensional support necessary to perform to their maximum potential in the water, and in life. The small team size allows athletes to receive individualized attention to effectively nurture their developmental needs. PAQ is a safe space and does not discriminate.
PAQ VISION: To achieve excellence in competitive swimming and to model best practices in culture, training, and performance, both domestically and internationally.
PAQ VALUES: Integrity. Sportsmanship. Performance. Professionalism. Kindness.
POSITION SUMMARY: PAQ Swimming seeks an experienced Developmental Coach with an Operational focus. The overall objective of the position is to continue to support and scale a USA swimming program that produces the highest attainable levels of competitive excellence in individual performance, in a safe and positive environment that fulfills PAQ’s mission of serving senior (13+older) athletes of all abilities. The Developmental Coach reports to the HC and will support and maintain year-round competitive programs that foster development of all athlete members. This multifaceted role involves coaching competitive swimming groups and the PAQMasters team, serving as operations manager for our school-campus aquatic facility, and helping promote and improve the sport of swimming locally and nationally.
- USA Swimming non-athlete current member, in good standing, all safety certifications current
- Minimum of 5+ years of USA Swimming or equivalent coaching experience
- Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) or equivalent education from a four-year institution; demonstrative knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through successful completion of an advanced degree in sports or facility management related fields; or a minimum of three years related aquatics experience in a leadership position
- Ability to work a flexible schedule & ability to travel as needed
- COVID Vaccination complete
- ASCA Level III (performance) Certified or higher; Competitive Swimming Experience at any level (as an athlete)
- Agree to a trial period to ensure proper fit with PAQ Swimming philosophy/approach to the sport; Pass all pre-employment screening including PAQ background check and all testing requirements which may include drug test, mental health assessment, etc.
- Demonstrable longevity/loyalty to previous employers/programs
This position functions primarily in aquatic center environments both public and private, indoors and outdoors, in all weather conditions. Requires the ability to work flexible hours, which will vary depending on the needs of the team to include weekend, evening, and travel responsibilities. Requires the physical ability and stamina to perform essential functions of the position – necessity to walk/stand for extended periods of time, bend, twist, lift and move heavy objects such as weights, equipment, supplies, etc. Must be able to meet the physical demands of handling a variety of athlete needs (block setup, power tower setup, etc.). Must have self-transportation (vehicle capable of transporting equipment) to allow for effective work at a variety of local locations including multiple pool sites, beach/ocean, gym, etc.
Desired Knowledge & Skills
- Effective written and verbal communication and presentation/public speaking skills; Strong organizational and time management skills, including the ability to work independently and prioritize workload. Interpersonal and EQ skills honed to interact in a highly effective manner with a diverse group of members/guests/partners in a multi-cultural team environment
- Thrive in a fast-paced, highly competitive environment dealing with a wide variety of daily challenges, deadlines, and rapidly changing circumstances
- Proficiency in running multi-level workouts for athletes with varying skill/experience levels
- Demonstrate a personal commitment to fitness, and positive mental and physical health; Present professional appearance and demeanor consistent with a clean, fit, and healthy lifestyle
- Proficiency in HyTek, TeamUnify, and Microsoft Office/Google Office functions
- Familiarity with the structure and organization of aquatic sport governing bodies on the local (LSC) and national (USA Swimming) levels, and demonstrates past contributions to these NGB’s
- Understands and endorses PAQ’s training philosophy and focus on senior athletes
Execute comprehensive aquatic programming for PAQ Swimming members and partners at Site #1/Grandview Prep Campus. Coach all assigned groups to top performance. Maintain day-to-day operations of PAQ Swimming partner facilities and programs. Assist in facility and program development, staff management, CRM, and increasing profitability by focusing on inclusive programming, customer service and community reach.
- Primary coaching responsibility is for the Junior/Senior club and Masters swim groups, other coaching assignments will be included. Assist with National & Pro groups as needed
- Develop every athlete to the best of their own abilities
- Implement day-to-day group coaching in full alignment with team strategic plan
- Coordinate training methodology, team drills and practice group goals with HC
- Design and oversee season training plans as approved by HC
- Retain primary focus on technique, skill development, culture, and long-term athlete development
- Coordinate group size as it relates to performance; Coordinate and allocate poolspace for practice schedule
- Manage athlete placement/movement. Maintain standards/requirements to join PAQ, and to move up from one group to the next.
- Communicate effectively with HC and respond quickly to parents and athlete needs; Communicate effectively with the public to build community partners; Represent PAQ club at all swimming events
- Attend all designated meets as scheduled
- Lead, recruit, develop, and help supervise P/T assistant instructors and coaches
- Maintain and update equipment and technology
- Perform other duties as assigned by the HC
Operations Responsibilities Manage day-to-day club operations, including (but not limited to):
- Enforce Facility Guidelines, Safe Sport best practices, COVID safety protocols
- Maintain aquatic facility (pool service company, manage repairs, maintenance crew, etc.)
- Coordinate and allocate pool space for practice schedules
- Manage pool office (clean, organize, office hours, office supplies)
- Maintain and update equipment and technology
- Maintain regular office hours as directed by HC
Dry-Side Responsibilities Collaborate with HC on short and long-term strategic planning of PAQ Swimming; Coordinate with Business Manager on administrative duties, including (but not limited to):
- General administrative duties such as online calendar maintenance, meet entries, information sharing through group chats and formal communication with members, and website/newsletter content creation.
- General onboarding of new members, including scheduling tryouts, performing skill assessments, collecting new member paperwork & information
- Participate in regular staff meetings and daily recaps with HC
- Promote social media reach, post regularly
- Assist in planning and organizing team outings and events, fundraisers, as well as annual parties
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed in this role. They are not intended as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of contractors/employees awarded this job.
TO APPLY: PAQ swimming invites nominations and applications for all positions. Cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and list of references must be included; incomplete applications will not be reviewed. For full consideration, please submit application materials online to LynneF@PAQswim.com. Review will begin immediately (10/22/2021) and will continue until an appointment is made. PAQ Swimming is an equal opportunity employer. Requested Start Date: ASAP/November but we will work with you. Kathleen Prindle, Founder & CEO Kathleen@PAQswim.com / 561-212-7175