Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Address of Job: 235 N JEFFERSON ST, Green Bay, WI 54311
Phone Number: (920) 436-1246
Team Name: Green Bay YMCA
Position Type: Head Coach
Organization Type: Club
The Head Swim Coach contributes to the Y’s success by assisting the Director of Aquatics in developing and sustaining an environment in our Y that supports our mission, values and guiding principles. The primary responsibility is in selecting, leading and developing aquatics staff, evaluating the participant experience, partnering with the Senior Aquatics Director in programming and scheduling, and leading efforts to drive membership growth and program participation. The Head Swim Coach may conduct classes, coach, and work as a Lifeguard as needed.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
- Foster an environment and culture that supports our mission, values, and guiding principles while leading efforts to drive membership, growth, and program participation.
- Lead the implementation of programs and initiatives, provide leadership to the Swim Coaches.
- Provide overall direction to develop and promote engaging, safe, and fun aquatic programming that passes a passion for aquatic activities on to participants and members./li>
- Essential programming components include innovation, water safety, healthy living, and love and respect for aquatic activities.
- Plan and organize practices/competitions to meet the needs of the swimmers, as well as lead and supervise practice groups to ensure team practices are following proper stroke progressions and curriculum.
- Interact and assist swimmers with their technique by actively correcting form, recognizing individual differences and adjusting teaching strategies.
- Assist with preparation and tear down of practice needs. Instruct swimmers how to help and use the swim team equipment safely (lane ropes, backstroke flags, kick boards, blocks, etc.).
- Know and follow YMCA procedures for incidents and injuries. Attend all assigned practices, communicating substitutions and following absence procedures. K
- Lead and organize parent committees to support team initiatives.
- Serve as a part of the leadership team at the center level on key initiatives and tasks to include fundraising and Leader on Duty.
SKILLS AND TRAINING
- This position requires a background in an aquatic and/or recreation environment
- Must demonstrate commitment to the Y’s cause and mission.
- Must demonstrate ability to build relationships and deliver an exceptional experience.
- Previous swim instruction and work with special need populations are beneficial.
- Experience supervising, training, and developing staff preferred.
- YMCA or Red Cross Lifeguarding certification (which includes CPR/First Aid and AED certification) is required within the first sixty days of employment (training provided).
- Lifeguard Instructor certification is preferred.
- USS Coaches Certifications AND YMCA Principles of Swim Coach Certification is required within the first 12 months.
- 1 year of swim coaching required; 5 years is preferred.
- Competitive Swimming experience preferred
- Computer and/or Smart phone technology experience required.
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values of CARING, HONESTY, RESPECT, and RESPONSIBILITY in all interactions and aspects of job performance. Demonstrates the desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Participates and leads team in annual giving campaign.
Relationships: Understands participant needs and ensures the Y is accessible to all; Recognize opportunities to engage participants in membership benefits. Upholds SMART pledge. Listens to understand participant needs, proactively address needs. Establish close professional relationships with participants to increase participant engagement and class enrollment.
Operational Effectiveness: Exercises sound judgment with the ability to make decisions based on member and participant focused data; transfers learning to situations; provides others with framework for making decisions. Embraces new approaches, discovers ideas to create a better experience, the ability to provide leadership to process improvement and innovation; follows policies/procedures. Complete administrative tasks.
Safety: Act as safety responder and assist with emergencies; complete reports as needed; adhere to safety policies and procedures for the Center and Association. Assures programs and instruction to maintain safety and well-being of participants. Ensure proper maintenance and cleanliness of aquatic facility and assess equipment replacement and repair needs.
Leadership: provide staff with feedback, development opportunities, coaching, guidance and support. Takes the initiative to develop others. Holds staff accountable for quality results. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Supervises and selects aquatics staff (swim instructors and/or lifeguards). Provides effective guidance to staff to successfully implement association programs.
Inclusion: Foster an environment and develop programs and activities where differences are celebrated, championing inclusion activities, strategies and initiatives.
Communication: Effective communication is critical to ensure quality programming that meets participant needs and safety priorities. Empathetically listen for understanding and meaning, speak and write effectively. Seek first to understand the other person’s point of view and remain calm in challenging situations. Effectively tailor communications to the appropriate audience to ensure understanding and collaboration. Keep parents, participants and members abreast of program activities.
Philanthropy: As a charitable organization, the Y depends heavily on financial support from the community to make our programs and services available to everyone. You play a critical role in cultivating relationships and leading a team to support and participate in the annual giving campaign as a staff liaison.
Volunteerism: Our program success can be attributed in part to a strong base of engaged program and campaign volunteers. Build effective relationships with volunteers and provide them with effective leadership, support, direction, development and recognition.
Emotional Maturity/Personal Development: Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships; positive and professional image projected at all times; highly self-motivated; assures own professional development.
Physical Requirements: The ability to stand or walk for long periods of time and perform physical activities that require considerable use of arms and legs is essential. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
Negotiable starting at $40,000
Health/Dental Insurance, Retirement
About the Organization:
Mission: To put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind, and body for all.
The YMCA is a cause driven non-profit organization dedicated to strengthening our communities in spirit, mind and body. Much more than just a fitness center, we focus on youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility as well. At the Y we know we aren’t simply in the community, but a part of it, and when we strengthen others we strengthen ourselves. Welcome to the Y. You belong here.
Ever since we were founded in 1871, we have worked side-by-side with our neighbors to make sure that everyone—regardless of age, income, or background—has the opportunity to learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 4 centers. Everyone belongs at the YMCA, regardless of income level.