Contact Email: email@example.com
Address of Job: 1020 Manchester Avenue Middletown, OH 45042
Phone Number: (513) 887-0001
Team Name: GMV YMCA Wahoos
Position Title: Director of Competitive Swimming & Aquatics
Organization Type: Recreational / Other
Job Title: Director of Competitive Swimming & Aquatics
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Operations Director
The Director of Competitive Swimming will be responsible for all aspects of supervision and management of the Great Miami Valley YMCA competitive swim programs and administers, supervises, and develops the aquatics and coaching staff. The Director of Competitive Swimming will also serve as a direct support for pre-competitive team development, including the training of all assistant swim coaches and staff associated with each branch location. The Director of Competitive Swimming will ensure all practices, workouts, and physical requirement are safe and challenging. The Director of Competitive Swimming will also lead efforts for team marketing, retention, and communication strategies that promote recruitment of new members, retention of existing members, and align such efforts across the association.
Develops annual operating goals and objectives in conjunction with branch leadership, and plans for the team enrollment sales, retention, marketing, and communications areas. Monitors the achievement of these plans, taking appropriate action to ensure that all goals and objectives are met. Executes strategies to ensure that members and/or participants connect with one another and connect with the YMCA.
Assumes primary leadership of GMVY Competitive Swim Program.
Develops, monitors, and administers assigned annual budget and maintains a positive fiscal position. Provides and maintains related statistics and reports.
Hires, trains, and supervises staff and volunteers in assigned areas. Ensures that all direct reports have valid certifications including but limited to valid lifeguard certifications. Facilitates communication and provides leadership. Models relationship-building skills (including Listen First) in all interactions.
Provides leadership and support to the annual fundraising campaign and volunteer committees/
boards as assigned. Develops and maintains effective working relationships within the community.
Assures compliance with state and local regulations. Ensures that program and membership standards are met and safety procedures are followed.
Ensures high quality member-focused programs and events through innovative program development, evaluations, and ongoing training of staff.
Assists in coordination of special events and activities as necessary to promote team and member engagement.
Assists in supporting the overall Aquatics department and branch, as necessary.
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Y’s values. Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to changing lives. Provides staff and volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fundraising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance, and support.
Operational Effectiveness: Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets.
Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, sales & marketing, or related field; or equivalent experience. Experience in sales, marketing, and strong interpersonal communication skills preferred.
- Excellent presentation, writing, and negotiation skills and experience with standard business software.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build rapport and credibility quickly. Professionally and effectively handle media inquiries.
- Lifeguard, Basic Life Support (BLS), Oxygen Administration, and First Aid certifications required.
- Entrepreneurial spirit with the ability to work in highly flexible, rapidly changing, and ambiguous work environment.
- Ability to work a variety of hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Ability to establish and maintain collaborations with community organizations.
- YMCA Team Leader or Multi-team/Branch Leader certification preferred.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to move, lift, carry, stand, push, pull, and be mobile during work shift.
- A frequent amount of sitting, standing and walking, reaching, stooping, kneeling, bending and occasionally lifting and/or moving up to 50 pounds. Lifting requirement of the position may be greater depending on the particular job to be performed.
- Ability to perform manual labor.
- May be exposed to extreme weather conditions.This position regularly works with chemicals.Ability to recognize and react calmly and effectively in the event of an emergency.
Salary/Benefits: Starting Salary: $38,721
About the Organization:
The mission of the Great Miami Valley YMCA is to put Christian principles into practice through programs that build a healthy spirit, mind and body for ALL.
The YMCA is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to Youth Development, Healthy Living, and Social Responsibility.