ASCA Now Certifying OPEN WATER SWIMMING COACHES.
(effective March 1, 2017)
The Purpose is to Educate, inform and Certify swimming coaches working with open water swimmers.
We are working with our partner experts in Open Water Swimming, the World Open Water Swimming Association (WOWSA) to provide the educational component of ASCA Open Water Certification.
Course Content: safety, organization, tactics, training and equipment used in mass Participation swimming competitions, professional races, channel/marathon swims, stage swims, adventure/extreme swims, ice/winter swims, charity swims, circumnavigation swims, eco-swims, held in oceans, seas, lakes, rivers, bays, reservoirs, canals, lidos, channels, fjords, straits, harbors and other bodies of water.
The program is an easy to understand online program with 400 plus slides, photos, videos and educational text, that describes all aspects of the sport. There is an on-line exam of 200 multiple choice questions to test and score the individuals comprehension of the content.
- Level 1 – a score of 75% correct answers on the WOWSA test .
- Level 2 – a score of 80% and coach 1 athlete who has completed a 5 KM swim in open water.
- Level 3 – A score of 85% and one athlete who has completed a 10KM Swim in open water.
- Level 4 – A score of 90% and coaching of one athlete who has completed a 25 KM swim, or competed in a national championship event.
- Level 5 – A score of 95% and coaching 1 athlete who has competed in the Olympic Games or an international championship event or completed a channel crossing.
Costs: $75.00 paid on the WOWSA test to take the course and test up to 3 times.
Initial WOWSA and each subsequent certification is valid for 2 years.
$25.00 to take the test for recertification or to achieve a higher level.
Each coach taking and passing the test will receive recognition from WOWSA as well as ASCA.